Thursday, September 13, 2012

39 pushing 40?

"Each pregnancy is different."

I've heard this over and over again, enough that it kind of gets annoying.

Obviously I knew that since day one, but I can't help but feel disappointed that Baby Bean is choosing to come later than Adam did. Granted, I'm not over due and I'm very healthy and so is he, so there really isn't anything to complain about. But why am I so anxious and disappointed? Ever since my doctor measured my cervix at a surprising 3-4 cm at 36 weeks, I've been expecting an early delivery. I guess anything before 40 is early so I have a few more days for that to be true.

But the anxiety is killing me. How will it happen? My water breaking in the wee hours of the morning? Or contractions that get stronger and stronger while Jed speeds home from work? How?? With Adam, it was a complete surprise.  With this one, we'll still be surprised, just not the one we're expecting, if that makes any sense.

The extra weeks have given me more time to reflect, prepare, do all sorts of housework and learn to continue living life. My mom gave me great advice: spend more time with Adam before all the changes happen. I think that has made the difference as I hover between exhaustiveness and nesting. Adam and I have had so much fun together in the last couple of weeks from learning letters of the alphabet to playing outside in the dirt.

Our (last?) doctor's appointment yesterday was helpful - the doctor stripped my membranes (removing the amniotic sac from the uterus) to help it to break more easily and start labor. She measured me around a 4-5 cm and saw the baby's head. She said the conditions are excellent! So if things are so excellent, what is taking so long?

So with however many days left in our family unit of 3, I will enjoy my time and live in the now.

FAQ:
When are you due?
Sept. 17 - this Monday!

What are you having?
A boy!

Do you have any names?
Not really, but if we did, no one will know until he arrives.

What does Adam think of the new baby?
Well, he doesn't really understand - he points to my belly and says "baby." But who knows what he understands with that.

How do I feel?
Uncomfortable. My hands and feet have begun to swell and they do not like it. Oh and my pelvis has complained to me several times, especially at night.

2 comments:

  1. ugh, i totally understand! i went only two days early and i was dying from the suspense! lucky for me, though, all my laboring at home happened in the afternoon/evening, so we didn't have to head to the hospital until the night, so brandon was definitely there. i'm thinking of you, though, and can't wait to see who this sweet baby is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I hate this part of pregnancy! My 2nd was the same way...my 1st was 2 1/2 weeks early & my 2nd only 4 days. I was dilated to a 4 for weeks! It was so frustrating! Your mom gave great advice, just try to relax & maybe he'll come!

    ReplyDelete