Sunday, August 1, 2010

Introducing...

Adam Beu Roberts
born July 20, 2010, at 8:20 a.m., 7 pounds, 7 ounces and 20 inches long. 

Twelve days ago, our son was born. Today (Aug. 1) was our original due date. We were just as surprised as anyone at the timing, but we couldn't be more thrilled. Here's the story:

Sunday, July 18: I was having some mild contractions that morning, but not enough to stop me from going to church (which started at 1 p.m.). I was asked to play the piano for our Sacrament Meeting at 3 p.m. but by that time, I was feeling a little more uncomfortable. As soon as I got home, I took a nap, but was awoken an hour and a half later with some pains in my stomach - more contractions? Yup. Well, they progressively intensified and were 7 to 10 min. apart. Jed and I both thought, "This is it!" However, after an hour of timing, they eventually came to a stop. Ok, no big, until they started up again an hour after they quit. This time, they were more irregular and it was more difficult to time them. I called the hospital and talked with a nurse who suggested I drink a couple glasses of water and to take a warm bath. That took care of them and we went to bed disappointed.

That night, sleep was not an option.  My stomach muscles were so sore from all the contractions from that evening. By the time morning came, I made up my mind: I was going into work late for sure, the doctor was going to check me out and then I would go from there. Yes, I still had work that Monday, as I was finishing up training my replacement and it was my last day.

Monday, July 19: I told Jed my plan and called my boss. She was fine with it and told me to keep her informed. Jed stayed home from work too so he could be supportive and there in case something happened. I was hoping to see a doctor as soon as 9, but found out the earliest opening was at 11 - and I went in to see the midwife because the office she was at was closer. Went through the checkup prelims and then came the moment of truth - she measured me ... then she gasped.

"Oh my gosh!! You are a 7! And you're 90 percent effaced! You need to go to the hospital!"

I looked at Jed and laughed - and then I looked at the midwife and laughed. I thought she was joking. When she assured me that she wasn't, I started crying. I thought, "I'm not ready for this! I still have to go to work in Rigby and finish up things there. I have to clean the house and prepare for this!" I told the midwife about work and she said there was no way I was going to work. Then she said I had a couple of options. I could go to the hospital and the doctor would break my water and labor would start, or I could go home and wait for my water to break or contractions to start again.

She left the room so Jed and I could discuss it. I cried again and he just laughed. We decided to go home. More like, I decided. We go home. One hour passes. Then two. Then 3:30 rolls around. Jed and I start seriously discussing the hospital option. I had told all my friends and family and they were surprised I hadn't gone to the hospital yet. To be honest, I was waiting for something to happen. I wanted labor to start on my own terms - not on the doctor's. Plus, I wasn't ready to grasp reality that this was about to happen. I was anticipating at least two weeks to prepare the house - clean up and organize my life, post-work. So I guess I was a little selfish too. Poor Jed - he had to put up with my irrationalizations (is that a word?) all day until he gently nudged me to the hospital. Boy, I'm glad he did.

We arrived at the hospital and were sitting, waiting for the doctor to arrive to break my water at 4:30. He came at 7 - the one doctor I did NOT want delivering my child. For those who don't know, he was the one who told me at 6 months or so pregnant that I would be wise to not gain another pound during the duration of my pregnancy. He did not make me happy.


With water broken, we sat around waiting. And waiting. And waiting. Yes, I was having contractions, but they were so mild that I didn't even feel them and they weren't dilating me either. After attempting to walk the halls, they put me on pitocin to kick start bigger contractions.

Not too much longer, but the contractions intensified. I had an IV drug that was taking off the edge - but eventually, I decided I couldn't handle these much bigger contractions without something stronger. I called for the big guns - the epidural. Now, I thought I could take on this whole labor thing without the epidural. But I realized I was only joking myself and I knew this was the best choice for me. Half an hour later, my lower body was numb and I didn't feel anything. Good thing too because I wasn't fully dilated for four more hours after getting the shot.

Tuesday, July 20: With my cervix fully dilated at 5 a.m., it was only a matter of time. The nurses had me start pushing before Dr. Harling arrived (lucky for me, new doctor - the shift changed). We started pushing a little after 7 p.m. Adam came about 8:20. Dr. Harling was really great - he got one arm out and said he had a little hand for me to hold. Then a few pushes later, he told me to reach down and pull out our son - one of the most amazing experiences of my life. 

 Proud Grandma with Adam - my mom flew in Tuesday morning and was there by early afternoon. We love our son!

This experience was amazing. We were very blessed that there were no complications and that Adam is strong and healthy. Thus begins our great adventure as parents!

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I hadn't seen much activity in your blogland or facebook so I figured maybe he'd come! Congrats! He's beautiful! You'll have to figure out all the tricks of baby boys for us and be ready to report by November when ours comes :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We laughed and cried at your story. Thank you for sharing. We are so excited for you. Send us your address. Love you much. The Hintons

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the correct use of the word IRRATIONALIZATIONS!! Whether it's a real word or not I think you used it very well! I feel that way right at this very moment! It's all those crazy pregnant hormones....
    I hope you're feeling better now! So happy that he's here and healthy! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is SO adorable! Congrats to you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! He is perfect and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great story! I'm glad he arrived safely, despite the early arrival, and he looks like one handsome boy. I'm so sorry I wasn't able to come see you last week. I didn't get your message until I got home from my trip and felt terrible about it. :( Sometime perhaps I'll have to take a trip to that direction to visit, but I'm not sure when. Good luck with this new journey. I know you'll do great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. he is so beautiful congatulations!!!

    ReplyDelete