Since I started counting down to when Emily came home from her mission, I knew I would go home to be there for it. I didn't buy the plane ticket for weeks because I kept hoping it would go down in price. Since that seemed less and less likely to happen, I gritted my teeth but never felt better to spend nearly $500 to be with my family.
Granted, I was scared out of my mind with the idea of traveling in confined space with Adam for almost 2 hours. I knew he wouldn't sleep, he wouldn't just sit still on my lap and who knows how the person sitting next to me would react to having to sit next to a toddler. Well, little did I know that my fears were not to be realized (at least until the return trip to Salt Lake) thanks to a lovely surprise.
My dad surprised me in the airport. Apparently, I was running late (I had no idea) and when I arrived at my gate, everyone had already boarded and I was nearly the last one to check in. As I fumbled with my phone to get the boarding pass to scan, a man complained to me that if I had printed out my boarding pass, this would have gone smoother. I whirled around to see who had the audacity to criticize me when I saw an older gentleman who looked vaguely familiar. Finally, it dawned on me. "Dad!" I burst into tears out of sheer exhaustion and emotion. We hurried down the concourse and made it on the plane. Adam took to Grandpa like an old buddy.
Luckily, the flight wasn't full at all and we enjoyed plenty of room and I almost lamented that I should have brought a book to read.
The next 10 days flew by as we enjoyed time together playing games, watching movies and have late night chats. Sorry, picture overload.
| Adam and Henry! |
| Our missionary! |
| He was FASCINATED with the guinea pig! Even stuck the toothbrush that cleans her butt in his mouth. I still cringe at that. |
| Adam and a new friend. He's such a flirt. |
| Pretty crazy wildfire right in town. |
The trip was so dang fun! Emily was sooo on fire - it was great talking with her about her mission.
So to balance out the amazing fun stuff, we had our downs as well. Adam decided it was too much fun to stay sleeping so naps were non-existent and waking up at 6 or even 5 was normal. I was going crazy with that. And then the flight home - NEVER. AGAIN. WITH. A. TODDLER. BY. MYSELF. Especially if he hadn't eaten well before leaving. My words of advice to you.
Buuuttttt! I would do it all again in a heartbeat! Yay for family!

No comments:
Post a Comment