Sunday, January 22, 2012

Sick

As some of you may know, my baby was sick last week. The first we had to deal with, too, and it wasn't pleasant. Not that I expected it to be, but I really didn't know what to expect. Actually, it could have been a lot worse. Like all-of-our-gag/vomit-reflexes-going-at-the-same-time worse. The words Jed used couldn't have been termed it better: a tender mercy.

So while Adam throws up whatever was in his stomach (which wasn't much), I held his little body until he couldn't give any more. He was crying, I was crying and laughing at the same time. It must have been some kind of reaction. As if my body wanted to cope by laughing and crying.

Well, we made it through all of Monday, and weak as he was, Adam survived Tuesday, with only two vomiting episodes that night. Miraculously, I survived as well, although I was at my wits' end Tuesday when he threw up again. My mind searched for possible reasons why he would be fine all day and then throw up later that night. Was he dying? Was I holding my little boy for the last time that night? That's how crazy my thoughts were as I stared into his angelic face. We just stared at each other while Jed cleaned up his mess. I finally got him to smile and for a fleeting moment, I felt things would be alright. But I needed to be sure and I asked Jed to give him a blessing. Because Jed holds the Priesthood, he has the power to bless those who are sick and unwell in God's name.

As he laid his hands on Adam's head, Adam calmed down and was quiet for those few moments. Jed blessed him that he would be well again, as well as additional blessings that I won't go into. The power was there and we felt it.

As I stated before on Facebook, I'm so grateful that my husband worthily holds that power and does not treat it lightly.

1 comment:

  1. SO awesome! About the blessing part, not the baby sickness! Nathan has been sick countless times. It's the worst feeling ever, knowing that you're well while your baby is not. I hate it!! Poor little guy; poor parents! I hope he's fully recuperated, which by the cute outing pictures above, I assume he is! Once when Nathan was throwing up all the time, then waited two days to throw up again, I took him to walmart, thinkin it was over. NOPE. As if baby food isn't gross enough the first time!! Poor ladies got nailed and so did I by that awful vomit.

    ReplyDelete