Warning! Medical related issues - may become graphic. Read at your own risk (don't worry, I won't be gross).
I guess I didn't have to wait until Grape came to find out what a night in the hospital is like. Now I'm better prepared - since Jed and I spent an unexpected stay Thursday night because of some really painful stomach cramps that would make any pregnant woman scared out of her mind.
It must have been the Jefferson County Commissioner's meeting that I was covering at the time. Any government-related meetings cause me to sweat profusely... Anyway - the cramps started gradually as the commissioners were talking about a mineral extraction ordinance (maybe Grape didn't agree with them), so I thought it was bowel related. I didn't make it to the bathroom before I ran into a friend's dad and started talking with him. By that time, it was quitting time and I wanted to just make it home.
Luckily, the drive was only 10-15 min. and I wanted to wait until I went to the bathroom first before I called my OB. By the time I made the call (5 min. to 5), the office was closed already. Wow - we never close our office 5 to 5!! Must just be the medical field.
I waited to see if they would abate at all, so I plopped (gently) on our bean bag chair and watched some hockey. The cramps were becoming more intense, as were my worries. I couldn't even get up and walk around. I tried phoning my mother - guru of all things medical and pregnancy related - but she didn't answer. By then, I'm not thinking clearly, so I waited an hour to see if she wasn't answering because they were eating dinner. I text her later, but no answer. Unsure still, I wait. Finally, one sister texts me so I tell her to have mom call me. Finally we talk and she says: Go to the hospital. Just wanting to make sure everything is okay with the baby was enough motivation for me so I get Emily to take me to the ER. Jed was up on campus doing homework and me not thinking clearly just told him to meet me there - even though both he and Emily were on the same side of town. Whatever. I'm in pain and all I'm thinking is that I just want it to stop. Fifteen minutes later, I'm admitted into Madison Memorial Hospital.
They check my vitals, ask me what's wrong (I answer this like 50 times) and they continue to poke and prod me. During some alone time, Jed was able to give me a blessing which was so comforting! I was promised I would be okay as would Grape and these pains were to help me become stronger and give me patience.
After a bit, they got the doppler thingy to find the baby's heartbeat, but the nurse, not being an OB nurse, couldn't find it. Luckily, the doctor did after 2 seconds. Phew! During some time, I vomited which made me feel SO much better, but I still was in pain. An OB-GYN dr came at that time and his main concerns were appendicitis or gastroenteritis (inflammation of the intestines). They decided to keep me over night to keep watch on my vitals. My white blood count was way high so they wanted to monitor that as well. They tried to get a better urine sample too, but they couldn't find the urethra (tube to my bladder) to stick the catheter - that was the most painful, other than the cramps. Luckily they got gave up and I gave them a cleaner sample.
By then, my bum was so sore from me laying on it. When they took me up to my room (10 p.m.), I just wanted to get in a better position, but then they stuck an IV in me and I wasn't sure at all how I was going to sleep with that. Oh and they gave me morphine too, which was nice when I did shift and pain shot through my abdomen. Going to the bathroom was the most complicated, but we won't go there.
The night seemed to last forever - with no sleep or very little due to being awakened every so often to check my vitals and the baby's heartbeat (which was a healthy 150). I think I finally slept fitfully between 6 and 7:30 a.m.
To make an already long story short, white blood count came down, ultrasound showed healthy ovaries (which also became a concern) and surgery doctor didn't think appendicitis was the issue. After long long time waiting, we were released between 6:30 and 7 p.m., nearly 24 hours since I was first admitted. Both Jed and I were exhausted and I was sore from not moving around so much and starving since they kept me on an IV and clear fluids since they admitted me.
In conclusion: we still don't know what the issue is, and appendicitis isn't completely out of the question since there is a condition where it can become inflamed and then go back to normal, but become inflamed again. But maybe this was just a learning experience - learning to listen to my body. I just wish I knew if I had eaten/done something that caused it so I wouldn't do it again. I felt very fortunate that the nurses were so nice and accommodating. The doctors of course were great, but I realized that with my first ever hospital stay, I am very blessed to not have experienced that continuously and earlier in life. I am a very healthy person (despite some habits I need to improve ie: eating healthier and exercising more consistently). What an amazing body God has given me and now I have another of God's creations inside me that has some of my characteristics as well as Jed's.
Special thanks to Emily for babysitting me and taking me to the hospital.
No babies were harmed in the making of this post.
Oh my goodness! What a fiasco! I am so glad to hear that mommy and baby are ok though. Lets hope it was a fluke weird thing that never happens again eh?
ReplyDeleteWOW! That would freak me out! I know what the hospital thing is like too because I experienced my first hospital visit in my first trimester. At least they got the IV in you. It took them 5 tries on me but that was because I was so dehydrated from getting sick all the time. I hope that you will be ok!! I'll be praying for you!
ReplyDeletewow sweetheart! I'm so glad it was nothing crazy!! I hope you find out what's wrong soon! Keep us posted!
ReplyDeleteOh, wow! Sarah... I hope you are ok! That is such a crazy story and I hope they find out what happened soon. How scarey!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad that you and your baby are doing well again. That must have been so scary!
ReplyDeleteYikes scary scary scary. Did they look into your gallbladder at all? Sometimes you will have issues with your gallbladder in pregnancy. Did you eat anything spicy or greasy that day?
ReplyDeleteOh, Sarah!!! I hope everything will be okay!!! I got goosebumps when I read about how Jed gave you such a sweet and comforting blessing. What a great husband! I love the Priesthood.
ReplyDeleteAnd you are hilarious. Haha! I love reading your posts.
Last point: Your story is yet ANOTHER of MILLIONS proving that our health care system in the U.S. DOES NOT need to be ruined by the government. The nurses and doctors are NOT so accommodating where they have socialized medicine (i.e. Canada, Europe). Ask Pam.. she can tell you first-hand experiences with her mom who's had several strokes and received very poor care.
Stepping off my soap box... :)
GLAD YOU'RE FEELING BETTER!