We've had a little over three weeks getting used to having two children. Someone recently observed to me how the mess doesn't double, it grows exponentially! It is so true. But the mess isn't anything compared to my love that has grown exponentially. Wow. I wasn't completely prepared for the overwhelming love that I feel for Jacob and Adam. My love hasn't split at all, but has enlarged even more, especially for Adam since he is going through major changes as well.
Anywho, I did want to record what happend that lovely Saturday that we welcomed Jacob into the world.I scheduled the induction for 3 that afternoon with a doctor that I hadn't met. That was a crazy process, since my very own doctor was out of the country due to a family emergency. I had met with two other doctors, one who didn't have privileges at the hospital I was delivering at. Oh well, the doctor on call wasn't bad.
I was prepared for a long labor, as with Adam, but we checked into the hospital a little after 3 pm, they started me on the pitocin around 5:30 and I was full dilated at 9 pm ish. The nurses were so great - except for the IV. Worst part ever, except toward the end when Jacob was turned funny and causing me great discomfort, even with the epidural. And then suddenly he was out, in four contractions. But the memory that will stay imprinted in my mind forever is watching the actual event.
They gave me an option to watch the birth with the help of a mirror that hung from the ceiling. Of course! I didn't have that option with Adam and I was curious. As I pushed and watched, my curiosity turned to amazement and wonder as I saw this little creature (with lots of dark hair!) emerge. Emotion soon got the best of me. And at my request, I pulled out Jacob myself. What a wondrous moment.
Since coming home, we happily made the necessary adjustments to our routine (many with the help of family, thank goodness). It's been more difficult my recovery, mainly due to Adam as I try to maintain a high level of energy to keep up with him and make sure his needs are met.
Now, I'm lucky if I get a nap (or sleep at night for more than 5 hours). I'm working on getting outside at least once a day (walks with both have been a big success) and that's including a trip to a fast food play place. Hey if you're desperate, you go anywhere.
We even went out on a little drive as a family Saturday. Fall is such a great time of year with the cooler weather and beautiful colors. We went up Big Cottonwood Canyon and it was amazing. I didn't realize how close we were to some camping and picnic sites.
Just to think that this is 15 minutes up the road baffles me, but it makes me happy too.




No comments:
Post a Comment