Well, a few weeks ago, we got what looked like bananas. I want to stress that they were a spitting image of one of the most popular fruit in the world. Well, they were dark green. And they stayed green. And they were hard. What the heck? So hubby had this crazy notion that maybe they weren't bananas, but maybe plantains. I protested. They looked like bananas! They were shaped like them! I knew what plantains looked like and that was not it.
So we decided to experiment and from experience from both our missions, we knew the only way to deal with them was to fry them. And lo and behold, they were plantains! On my mission in Ecuador, we called thinly sliced fried plantains chifles (pronounced chee-flays), which are basically potato-chip like french fries that you salt and/or dip in ketchup. Another version I've done is cut a thicker slice, fry it for a bit and then smash it with something hard - in Ecuador it would have been a rock. You continue to cook it after smashing it and those are called patacones (pa-ta-co-nays for you gringos). Jed, in his mission in New Jersey, was served a very ripe plantain which is sweet when cooked. These ones would take weeks to ripen, so we're waiting on two right now. I wish I had pictures for you that I've taken, but this will have to do:
![]() |
| Source |

How cool! I love those pictures of Adam...what a sweetheart, and getting so big! One time I bought bananas and Mitch thought they were plantains...but I won that one because they eventually turned yellow and soft :o)
ReplyDeleteThat's a really good idea. I've never used plantains, but I'm planning on trying your recipes in the next week or so.
ReplyDelete