Monday, November 1, 2010

Halloween

I was so excited to have Adam dress up for his first Halloween and be there for pumpkin carvings and church activities. I thought I was going to be clever and make him an outfit. Ha. I attempted:


This is a pillowcase from D.I. (our thrift store). I couldn't believe it. Ever since Adam had been doing the "pirate eye" as we called it:
I had wanted to dress him up as a pirate for Halloween so the pillowcase was perfect for a pirate's shirt! Ha!

Using one of Adam's onesies as a "pattern" I cut out enough for his little body, sewed it together, and then tried it on him. Actually, I didn't even get it over the head so I kept cutting the neck into a V-cut, but then I realized the body wasn't even big enough for his arms to go in the arm holes. By then I was getting pretty frustrated, but now as I look back, I realize I can't seem to remember what happened after that because then I proceeded to cut out the arms and even sewed one on! What was I thinking??!! When Jed got home that I night, I showed him my predicament and he lovingly suggested I put a ka-bosh on the shirt idea and make a bandana instead. Good idea since all that involved was cutting and tying it on him! I made a sash too out of the thicker portion of the pillow case.

Even though the shirt idea didn't work out, I was surprised that I had jumped into the project with both feet, without much guidance - but what a learning experience it turned out to be and I know I won't be afraid to try again. However, next time, I'll go with a more legit pattern and maybe I'll take into consideration the limits of the fabric I'm using too.

But he turned out to be a pretty cute pirate, don't you think?
Here are all of us in our costumes:


We also carved pumpkins at a friend's house with her little girl, Kyann. It was the first time for both of them to carve pumpkins!! We had a lot of fun.







Here are our finished pumpkins! Mine's on the left and Jed's is the masterpiece on the right. Unfortunately, they didn't last the week and Halloween night, they both were bowed in and the scarecrow looked headless. but we had a fun weekend.

1 comment:

  1. CUTE!! :o) I love Adam's pirate costume! Go you for experimenting...that's pretty much how Nathan's whole baby room went!! I took sewing classes in high school and had the same horrible teacher all three years...she got fired the year after I graduated, of course!! I've had one project that I keep trying and failing at all week...hopefully it'll work out one of these times! :o) I never really use patterns and I was never taught any real skills...so I just play and try not to feel too bad if I mess up completely! (It happens a lot nowadays!!)

    ReplyDelete