Wednesday, June 23, 2010

More visitors!

A couple of weeks ago, Jed and I had a couple of visitors that, from a distance, would cause anyone to raise their eyebrows: my grandpa and family friend Harrie Gerritsen, from the Netherlands. Yes, two, unrelated, old men roadtripping their way to Nevada. And they sometimes teased those around them by saying to one another, "Yes, dear," and linking arms. I hope the hotel manager had a sense of humor.

 They became friends last year at our wedding and Harrie has been to visit my grandpa in California a couple of months ago and then came back for my sister Katie's high school graduation. After graduation, they left together in a rental car on a road trip from South Dakota to Nevada. My grandpa is 80 and Harrie is 65. Together, they are a hoot. Harrie has a very dominating personality and my grandpa is somewhat similar. They are alike enough to clash and get along at the same time. I took part of a day off at work to spend time with them and we had a great time! We went to my work and I introduced them to my coworkers. Glad they have a sense of humor. I took them to IF to the temple and visitors center - Harrie isn't a member (he's a little stubborn), but my grandpa is. But the displays at the center were great for both to see.

Harrie loves to take pictures - he just loves documenting the States, period.
Grandpa gives Harrie a hard time about being old, driving, and just everything in general. Above, Harrie rattled the fence when he jumped down, so grandpa just shook his head at him.


Grandpa took this picture of Harrie and I in front of the temple. I guess Grandpa and Harrie went up to the Rexburg Temple the night before. There, a man exiting the temple met them outside and tried to convert Harrie - grandpa thought it was hilarious and exactly what Harrie needed to hear.


I should explain a little how Harrie came into our lives:
Many moons ago, my dad served an LDS mission in Holland, or the Netherlands, a small country by Germany. My dad met Harrie there and though Harrie never was baptized, he liked the ideals and morals of the Church and was always friends with the missionaries, serving them dinners and the like. After my dad left for home, he and Harrie have maintained this friendship over the years. He's visited us quite a few times and then bought us plane tickets to go visit him 13 years ago or so. Anyway, this is the type of friendship that never dies.
 My grandpa hasn't been to the temple in many years. I hope he felt the Spirit and desired to go back. I had a nudging to say something and dismissed it. Fail.

One of the funniest things that we did that day was go shopping for a diaper bag for me. Harrie insisted that he buy something for the baby and I suggested some things and he jumped on the diaper bag idea. We went to Target in IF - they had like 3 choices of bags! So we went to Walmart because I didn't know of any other place to take them. It took us forever to find where the bags were and Harrie practically picked out the bag for me. Can't you see how excited he is?

Harrie was also kind to treat us to eating out both nights. Since both like to tease each other, Harrie is pretending to be on the phone while Grandpa talks to my mom.
Jed and I happy at Olive Garden.
After dinner the night before they left, we played bowling on the Wii at our apartment - Jed showed us all up, but Grandpa held his own. This was Harrie's first time playing - but he improved after three games!

2 comments: